I found online the PowerPoint presentation for: R Zitnik, Y Levine, M Faltys, T Arnold, “Harnessing the Inflammatory Reflex: Using Neuromodulation as a Novel Approach to Treat Chronic Inflammatory Diseases”, North American Neuromodulation Society Meeting 2012.
The presentation shows some preliminary animal results, presents an artist’s conception of the implantable system, and concludes as follows:
“- Inflammatory diseases are a $30B market with significant unmet need
– Using neuromodulation to drive the inflammatory reflex has a sound biological foundation: Use in clinic is supported by strong preclinical evidence
– This is the first demonstration that an implantable neuromodulation device improves clinical manifestations of RA:
- Significant and clinically meaningful improvement in signs and symptoms
- Response rates were comparable to those with current biologic agents
- Further larger controlled studies in RA and other chronic inflammatory diseases are warranted.
- Our microregulator offers significant advantages over current vagal nerve stimulation devices
SetPoint intends to offer a novel therapy that will significantly increases patient QOL, while bending per-patient cost curves down by more than 60%”